The pickle man

Monday, February 21, 2011

Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar

I was in my twenties the first time I ever tried a Brussel sprout. 
My mom was a great cook, and we ate a lot of fruits and vegetables, but when there was something she didn't like, she just didn't cook it.  And she was never quiet about her dislikes. 

Cabbage. 
Brussel sprouts. 
Liver. 
Beets.
Coconut. 
Bananas. 

Except for the liver (and, OK, the coconut) these are all things I like as an adult. 

Plus, I have this rule that if my husband takes the time and effort to grow something in the garden, the least I can do is cook it and eat it... Although I have yet to figure out what to do with a rutabaga.


The Brussel sprouts stayed small this year.  Fertilizer? Random almost-snowy weather?  Who knows...  But the small ones are tender and absolutely delicious.  

And my favorite recipe is very simple. 

With tiny Brussel sprouts, spread them out on a baking sheet.  If they are larger than a quarter in diameter, you should cut them in half, lengthwise (Prime meridian, not equator).


Toss with olive oil and a little Kosher salt and roast in a very hot oven (425) for 12-15 minutes, stirring them occasionally to keep them from sticking. 

Take them out when they have yummy brown bits, as shown below.

Put them in a bowl and toss them with a little Balsamic vinegar.

Then add some Parmesan cheese.

And serve!  (here with pork tenderloin and orecchiette)

Even my mother eats them now :)  And this may be my greatest culinary success ever.  

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this recipe. I LOVE Brussels sprouts but have never eaten them this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these really are the best - they beat out asparagus for favorite early spring vegetable every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought some fresh Brussels at Kroger's and have a new recipe I will give out tomorrow after I try them. I have never seen a Brussel sprout I didn't like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great, I will definitely try it. So excited for a post on your mom's chocolate cake, surely something I will always remember about Monroe, La! I also think I remember your mom telling me once about only knowing how to cook chicken (and cooking it too often) when she and your dad first married, and how she got totally sick of eating chicken. Am I remembering that right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Melissa... it was tuna fish casserole :) he does not eat it to this day. And chocolate cake maybe tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete