The pickle man

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Mardi Gras tradition - Bourbon Slush

For as many Mardi Gras celebrations as I've attended, there are surprisingly few photographs. 
Maybe because I rarely bring my camera to a parade. 

But tonight is my town's Mardi Gras parade... so, in celebration, here are some pics from over the years... 

Michael with the Indian at Mobile Mardi Gras... 2005.


My sister's first Mardi Gras in New Orleans (she's on the left), also 2005. 


My son at his first Mardi Gras in town - 2009.  

Before the parade in our town, we usually meet at my in-law's - a few blocks from the parade route.  Michael's mom makes jambalaya, crawfish cornbread, and king cake.  And I make bourbon slush. 

Except this year, she's letting me make the king cake!  I'm excited, but more than a little nervous.  Hers was the first homemade king cake I'd ever had, and she is an excellent baker.  Apparently my son wore her out this week - we had a childcare emergency and she very sweetly filled in.  


I resolve to get some better pictures tonight, but I wanted to post this recipe because it needs to hang out in the freezer for quite a few hours before it's ready.

Bourbon Slush
4 green tea bags (regular size) in 2 cups boiling water
2 cups sugar in 7 cups boiling water
Prepare above mixtures separately and let cool.  Mix and add:
1 large can frozen orange juice
1 large can frozen lemonade
2 cups bourbon
Freeze overnight, or for six hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment