The pickle man

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stuffed eggplant - a la Red Bar

This was my last day of summer break, so I decided to celebrate by cooking something (a little) fancy.  Plus, I still have a lot of eggplant to use up!

But first, my sous chef:


One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is the Red Bar and Picolo Grill in Grayton Beach, Florida.  They keep it simple - only 5 or 6 items on a chalkboard menu.  But their seafood stuffed eggplant is a perennial favorite of mine.  Here's my approximation:

Ingredients:
2 normal eggplant or 3 ichiban eggplant
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2-3 yellow squash, chopped
2 Tbs chopped garlic
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup cooked chopped shrimp (Red Bar also includes scallops, but I had shrimp on hand)
2-3 Tbs chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup bread crumbs (I use Italian)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I used the "green can" variety for the stuffing, but I topped it with the real thing before baking


Oh yes, you will be dinner! 

Method:

Split the eggplant in half lengthwise, sprinkle with olive oil and salt, then bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, until soft.  Meanwhile, saute the onion in olive oil and butter for 2-3 minutes, then add the chopped yellow squash and the garlic and saute 10 minutes.  Add the wine and cook another 2-3 minutes.  Scoop out the eggplants, leaving enough meat to support the shell.  Add the eggplant to the pan on the stove, along with the cooked shrimp and basil.  Cook until warmed through.  Add the parmesan and bread crumbs and toss until combined.  Stuff these into the eggplant shells and top with more parmesan.  Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.  Serve with tomato cream sauce (Saute garlic in butter, add tomatoes and white wine and cook until reduced.  Add whipping cream and cook until hot.  Pour over the eggplant shells before serving).



 Out of the oven...

And on the plate!

4 comments:

  1. Nice! We have a bunch of eggplant from a friend's garden. I've made roasted veggie fajitas and an Indian dish called subzi this week with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum - please share the subzi recipe :) We have about 7 more the size of the three I used last night! And veggie fajitas sound great too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and now you will also have a sister following along...can't wait to try this recipe...might just do it this afternoon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete