The pickle man

Monday, August 9, 2010

Chicken Fried Rice

So the original purpose of the blog was supposed to be to share recipes with my brother (who is almost 20, junior at college, and has discovered cooking is cheaper than eating out in New Orleans for every meal, as much as that's a dream come true), and whoever else was interested.

To be honest - I love food.  I basically run just so I can eat (well, there's also the fact that I can escape from the kids for a while, or at least confine them in jogging strollers traveling at speeds where they are not so comfortable trying to jump out).  This week, I actually learned how to braise a lamb shank watching the Food Network while I ran 5 miles.  I think the girl on the treadmill next to me was a little angry.  I mean, that could be her normal workout face, but I think all that butter and lamb fat was getting to her.  Me?  I just can't wait until the heat index drops below 100 so I can try it.  I'm guessing that will be around Halloween.

And so... what's for dinner?  Tonight - fired rice.  I don't braise lamb shanks every Monday.   And here's the recipe:

1 Tbs Vegetable oil
1 Tbs Sesame oil (or just use another tablespoon of the Veggie if this is not on hand)
2 diced carrots
2 diced green onions (note - if you pull these from your garden, wash these VERY thoroughly.  Saves time having to stop in the middle and clean the cutting board of grit).
1 Tbs chopped garlic
whatever other vegetables you have on hand and would like to get your family to eat (I love mushrooms, broccoli, green peas, and tonight, eggplant - another garden over-abundance)
2 chicken breasts, diced (or you can use whatever meat you have on hand)
1 cup uncooked rice
1 egg
Black pepper to taste
Soy sauce to taste (my taste = about 3 tablespoons, but this might be too much for some.  I also recommend the Lite version - more soy taste, less salt)
Chinese hot mustard and/or sweet and sour for serving

Method:
Dice the chicken and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.  Start the rice in a separate pot (bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add salt, add rice, reduce heat and cook with a lid on for 15 minutes).
Heat up the oil.  Add the diced carrots, green onions, and other veggies.  Cook until tender.  Add the chicken.  Cook until done.  Add the egg and fry it (you've been to Hibachi, you know how it's done - just don't try to put the egg in your hat) Add the rice and seasonings.  Stir until combined and serve hot with mustard and sweet and sour sauce.

And, because I like pictures, the carrots.


I was going to include a picture of the finished dish, but the baby woke up.  The food photography has not been going so well, actually.


But I promise - it was good!

1 comment: