The pickle man

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homemade White Bread

Finally, the tomatoes are ripe!

And so, today, I just had to make one of these:


And to appropriately surround my delicious bacon, lettuce, and tomato, I made my mother-in-law's bread:

From here, it was only a few short steps... 


To HERE!


For the bread:


2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
4 cups bread or all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/3 cups water

Mix all of the ingredients.  You can use a bread machine, a mixer with a dough hook, or your hands (I've never tried that last one).  My preferred method is the bread machine on the dough cycle.

Let rise until doubled - 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Punch down the dough and divide it in half.  Place each half in a greased, floured loaf pan.  Allow to rise again for 30 minutes.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes (until nicely browned).  Let cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment