The pickle man

Friday, May 13, 2011

A Mint Julep

I always hesitate to post about mixing drinks... First, I'm definitely not an expert.  And then I have friends who don't drink (but read the blog) but every once in a while, I feel the need to share.

This drink is something that needs to be shared.

It's not a classic mint julep - largely because I don't have a mortar and pestle to appropriately muddle the mint. And stopping to muddle mint every time I want to have this does not make sense.

So instead, I make a mint tea of sorts...

(And by the way, when people tell you to plant your mint in a container or else it will take over the garden... you should heed their sage advice... pun intended, since my sage was the most recent
victim of the mint invasion.  So if you need mint, please ask!)

And please, please don't forget the garnish.  It's not just for appearance (although I love the way it looks) but it puts the fresh mint right under your nose when you take that first sip...

4 cups water
several handfuls of mint leaves (about 1 cup, loosely packed)
1 cup sugar
Bourbon to taste
More mint to garnish

Combine the water, mint leaves, and sugar in a large microwaveable container.  Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Chill.  This will keep in the refrigerator indefinitely :)
When you are ready to make a julep, fill a glass with crushed ice.  Pour in 1-2 ounces of bourbon.  Pour the mint syrup in.  Mix well (you can also do this in a shaker).  Garnish and serve!

For a twist, you can add lime juice and replace the bourbon with rum.  Pour a splash of soda on the top, and voila, a mojito!

Oh, and for the non-drinkers out there, Dixon LOVES the tea - just over crushed ice with a garnish :) It's a little sweet, so I usually add a little water to his.

No comments:

Post a Comment