The pickle man

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Banana Pudding

When I solicited cooking suggestions last week, my little brother suggested I teach him how to make banana pudding.

Which got me thinking... aren't babies supposed to love bananas?

Mine does not.  But I keep buying them in hopes that he one day will.  So far, all I have is a bunch of overripe bananas... and so, banana pudding!

So, first separate 4 eggs.  Put the yolks in a saucepan

Add 2 1/2 cups milk, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and 2 Tablespoons corn starch.
Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or so, whisking frequently, until the custard is thick.

Meanwhile...
In a baking dish (I like round and orange) layer 'Nilla wafers and sliced bananas.



Although he does not care for bananas, the baby does adore 'Nilla wafers.  So I gave him one.  He was pretty excited about it.


Once that's done, pour the cooked custard over the cookies and bananas.


Then, in the bowl of the electric mixer, whip the egg whites with 5 tablespoons of sugar until they form a meringue.


Put the meringue on top of the pudding.

Bake in a slow (300 degree) oven for 20 minutes or so.  Just the tips are supposed to get brown, but my whole meringue got brown.  But it was still delicious!

Scoop up and serve to those you love!


Oh, and if you like firmer pudding, put it in the fridge first.  But in my house, we like it warm!




4 whole eggs separated
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
3-4 bananas sliced
'Nilla wafer cookies

Separate the eggs. Beat 4 eggs yolks slightly. Add to the egg yolks 2/3 cups sugar, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Add this to 3 cups milk. Place in saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add vanilla extract.

Layer vanilla wafers and bananas in 8 inch square baking dish. Stand vanilla wafers up around sides of dish. Pour pudding over vanilla wafers and bananas.

Beat egg whites until frothy and add 5 tablespoons granulated sugar. Beat until stiff. Spread on top of pudding and bake in slow oven 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown on tips.

4 comments:

  1. Well, did he like the pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with William. Hate the bananas, love the Nila Wafers. I also love meringue. Mmmm. :)I'd be happy to eat the top off that pudding if it wasn't contaminated by the bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to try this recipe! I have never had warm banana pudding, but it sounds and looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sue Lynn - William did NOT like the pudding. But like Tanya, he was a fan of the meringue!

    ReplyDelete