The pickle man

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You say potato... I say sweet potato

Sweet potatoes are big here.  They are also cheap. And they are in season.  Which means that certain members of my family are in danger of turning a little orange from all of the sweet potatoes. 


He really likes them.

So, all you need is a few sweet potatoes (I used two), some olive oil, some kosher salt, and some black pepper.

Oh, and a cookie sheet or half sheet pan.

Preheat the oven to 450 (one way to find out whether or not it is clean!). Leave the skin on the potatoes, and cut them into 1 inch cubes (or thereabouts... this is NOT something where I try to be a perfectionist, making it notably rare.  Other areas where I don't suffer from perfectionism: laundry and vacuuming).

But back to the potatoes. Spread them on a cookie sheet.
cute little boy hands - he's such a great helper!


Pour a tablespoon of olive oil, a few pinches of kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper, and toss them around.  I had to do this myself, since my helper does NOT like greasy hands.  Unless there is cookie dough involved, in which case, he will endure.

Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spatula.

They come out all brown and lovely.

And then, enjoy!!

Can you see the family resemblence?

These were intensely popular.

P.S. Work is really crazy this week.  I'm trying to make teenagers like poetry.  So far, as they would say, "Epic fail."  I have to work on this.  So, sorry this wasn't much of a post.  But I do highly recommend the sweet potatoes.

P.P.S.  When I went to go get the camera card to upload photos, my husband told me (seemingly in passing), "You know, you don't need roosters to get eggs.  Just to get chicks.  But the hens will lay even without a rooster."  I'm a little scared.

2 comments:

  1. you should be!!!! But the other problem is you can not determine sex till they crow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can make the teens like poetry, its you. I was just telling one of my friends how awesome of a teacher you are and how fun my senior year AP english class was. I so miss that small little group.

    ReplyDelete