The pickle man

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Michael's Favorite cookies - Peanut Butter

My husband loves peanut butter cookies.  It's always seemed an odd "favorite cookie" choice, what with all the chocolate chips and oatmeal raisins in the world.






I used to think it had something to do with the fact that my brother (notorious for eating all of whatever Michael was planning to snack on) HATES peanut butter. 

Whatever the reason, these are my go-to recipe for when I need a favor... or to get out of trouble.  As in, "Sorry the house is still a wreck, because I blogged during nap time, but I made you these!!"


You start by creaming the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. 


 Add the peanut butter (I like crunchy because I like the little pieces of nuts in the cookies, but we never have it on hand).  Then add the eggs. For baking, I use extra large. 

My older son operates the Kitchen Aid with scary proficiency.
My big boy didn't want the baby to feel left out, so he generously gave him the whisk attachment to chew on. 




Then you add the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder (getting the right ratio of these two is what gives you the perfect cookie.  Soda = crunchier; powder = more cake-like/ chewier)

Refrigerate the dough for 10 - 15 minutes to make it easier to work with.  Shape it into 1 inch balls, using either your hand or this handy melon/ ice cream scooper. 

This is the child who does NOT like greasy hands. 

Flatten the balls with a fork.
The stone keeps the bottoms from burning

While my son flattened the cookies, I wrapped up the rest of the dough in some plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge.  Homemade slice-n-bake, for later in the week. 


Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, until warm and delicious! 

I usually double this recipe and stick the extra in my fridge. 


1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbs brown sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter (crunchy)
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Cream butter, sugars, and peanut butter.  Add beaten egg and mix well.  Sift and stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Chill the dough for 15 minutes.  Roll into 1 inch balls.  Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheet or ungreased baking stone.  Flatten criss-cross fashion with a fork.  Bake in a 375 oven for 12-15 minutes.  Cool for a few minutes on baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment